Town: Barrington

Strafford co. It lies 20 miles North West from Portsmouth, 10 West from Dover, and 30 East from Concord. The surface of Barrington is some-what broken and rocky, the soil being principally a gravelly loam. — The town is abundantly supplied with ponds, of which there are no less than thirteen of considerable magnitude, from whence issue streams afforded excellent mill seats. At one of these mill seats on the Isinglass river, is a perpendicular fall of 30 feet. There is, about two miles from the center of the town, a remarkable cavern, or fissure in a rock, commonly called the Devil’s den. The entrance is on the side of a hill, and is sufficiently large to admit a person in a stooping posture. Having entered 5 feet in a horizontal direction, there is a descent of 4 or 5 feet, on an angle of 45°, large enough only to admit the body of a middling sized man. After squeezing through this passage, you enter a chamber 60 feet in length, from 10 to 15 in height, and from 3 to 8 in width. — Communicating with this, are several other fissures of equal height, and from 10 to 15 in length. Barrington was incorporated May 10, 1722, and the settlement commenced in 1732.

Durham Village New Hampshire

Genealogy of Ensign John Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire

Ensign John Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire was born about 1623 in Marlborough. He married, 10 Dec. 1646, Jane, daughter of the Rev. Joseph and Mary (Johnson) Peasley of Haverhill, where he owned land in 1642. In 1650 he was on a committee to lay out a boundary between Haverhill and Salisbury. About 1653 he removed to Oyster River, where he built his garrison house, near Davis Creek, on the north side of the river and near its mouth, on land bought of Valentine Hill, 14 Aug. 1654. He had numerous and large grants of land, was selectman seven times, constable, surveyor of lands, and held other offices. He is called ensign as early as 1662. He died between 1 April 1685 and 25 May 1686, the dates on which his will was made and approved.

Durham Village New Hampshire

Genealogy of the Croxford Family of Durham New Hampshire

A genealogy of the Croxford family of Durham New Hampshire as extracted from the History of Durham New Hampshire and other sources. First Generation 1 Family of Daniel Croxford of Durham, New Hampshire Daniel Croxford was in the employ of Gen. John Sullivan in the fulling mill at Sullivan’s Falls. He was born Aug. 1752 and died 5 March 1837. He married, (1) Mary Bennett, daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Gilman) Bennett, who died 21 June 1820, aged 72. He married (2) 23 Dec. 1821, Mrs. Peggy Stockbridge of Barrington. Issue: Sally Croxford born 20 Feb. 1780; married 7 Feb. …

Genealogy of the Croxford Family of Durham New Hampshire Read More »

South Main Street, Rochester, New Hampshire

First Congregational Church Records, Rochester, NH

Early town records for Rochester are scant and genealogists need to access private church records performed by their early ministers in order to access many baptism/birth, marriage, and death/burial records. Supplemented by Bible, cemetery, land, and court records, one may form an informed analysis of early Rochester families. Rochester was incorporated as a town, May 10, 1722. The present towns of Farmington and Milton were formerly a part of Rochester. Farmington was set off and incorporated December 1, 1798, and Milton was set off and incorporated June 11, 1802. A part of the farm of Rufus C. Varney was severed …

First Congregational Church Records, Rochester, NH Read More »

South Main Street, Rochester, New Hampshire

Marriages By Rev. Joseph Haven, 1776-1785

Rev. Joseph Haven was the third minister of the First Congregational Church in Rochester New Hampshire. He was elected to his position after the death of Rev, Samuel Hill in 1776. These marriage records were kept from his initial election for 10 years, or 1785. The First Congregational Church moved it’s location during the tenure of Rev, Haven, relocating and improving their existing building at Haven Hill to the Rochester Common, the new center of activity. Marriages By Rev. Joseph Haven 1776 Febr 29th Robert Walker with Dorothy Leaghton, both of RochesterMarch 7th Joseph Tucker with Abigail Heard both of …

Marriages By Rev. Joseph Haven, 1776-1785 Read More »

The Square in Rochester New Hampshire showing the statue of Parsons Main

Marriages By Rev. Amos Main, 1745—1757

Rev. Amos Main was the first settled minister in Rochester and arrived in 1737. Rochester as a township, however, was formed in 1722, fifteen years earlier, and had likely been settled since 1657. What happened to Rev. Main’s marriage records prior to 1745 is not known, and the existence of other ministerial records for Rochester prior to this collection of marriage is extant if any ever existed. In the listings below, the town of Towow references Lebanon Maine and Summersworth references Somersworth New Hampshire. There appears to be early interaction between families in these communities and certain families in Rochester, …

Marriages By Rev. Amos Main, 1745—1757 Read More »

Durham Village New Hampshire

Genealogical Notes on the Clark Family of Durham New Hampshire

Genealogical Notes on the Clark family of Durham New Hampshire as extracted from the History of Durham New Hampshire and other sources. Abraham Clark’s land is mentioned in 1680. He lived near the northern boundary of Oyster River Parish. He may have been the Clark of unknown name who was killed in the massacre of 1694. Deliverance Clark, who married Nathaniel Lamos before 1700, was doubtless his daughter, and so, probably, was Mary Clark, who married Bartholomew Stevenson, 10 Oct. 1680. Clark’s Plains are on the line of Dover and Madbury southeast of Pudding hill. Abraham Clark, aged 59 when …

Genealogical Notes on the Clark Family of Durham New Hampshire Read More »

Durham Village New Hampshire

Genealogy of the Buzzell Family of Durham New Hampshire

A genealogy of the Buzzell family of Durham New Hampshire as extracted from the History of Durham New Hampshire and other sources. First Generation 1 Family of John Buzzell of Oyster River New Hampshire John Buzzell (Samuel2, Isaac1 of Salisbury, Mass.), born 7 Aug. 1659, had a grant of forty acres, 19 March 1693/4, laid out to him 13 June 1694, on the south side of the mast path that goes from John Knights to Newtowne. He was baptized at Oyster River, New Hampshire 1 April 1722. His will, 24 Nov. 1737-28 Feb. 1738/9, names wife, Sarah, and children as …

Genealogy of the Buzzell Family of Durham New Hampshire Read More »

Durham Village New Hampshire

Genealogy of the Bunker Family of Durham New Hampshire

A genealogy of the Bunker family of Durham New Hampshire as extracted from the History of Durham New Hampshire and other sources. 1 Family of James Bunker of Oyster River, New Hampshire James Bunker, born about 1628 according to a deposition, is incidentally mentioned in the court records of York County in 1648. In 1652 he bought land below Johnson’s Creek, on the north side of Oyster River. His will, 14 Oct. 1697-24 June 1698, names wife, Sarah, and three sons. 2. James Bunker m. prob. (1) Anne Thomas, (2) Martha Downes. 3. Joseph Bunker m. _______ _______. 4. John …

Genealogy of the Bunker Family of Durham New Hampshire Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top