Compiled mainly by N. W. Davis, Winchester, Massachusetts
Family of James Davis of Haverhill Massachusetts
The Davis family of Marlborough, Wiltshire, England, came originally from Wales and derive their name from David, the patron saint of Wales. Robert Davy is found in Wiltshire as early as 1276 in the Inquisitions post mortem. Hugh Davyse was living in Marlborough in 1524, as shown by court records, also John Davyse in 1532, and the name became wide-spread in Wiltshire about that time.
The Davises of Marlborough appear to have borne arms as follows, “Gules, a stag trippant or,” that is, a golden stag on a red shield, as shown by the will of Joane (Hayles) Davis,, widow of Robert of Marlborough, son of Paul, born about 1560,. which appears upon its seal. This was the coat of arms of an ancient Welsh tribe. The same coat of arms was used by William Davis of Boston, born about 1615, without doubt son of Anthony and Elizabeth (Henley) Davis of Brinkworth, near Marlborough.
James Davis, the emigrant, was born, according to old Bible records, in Marlborough, England, about the year 1584. He was made freeman at Newbury, Massachusetts, 4 March 1634/5. In 1640 he with eleven others cleared the forest at the Indian village of Pentucket and founded the present city of Haverhill, Massachusetts. He lived at the easterly end of the town, near Rocks Bridge. He was a prominent man, serving as selectman and representative to the General Court. He was a Puritan and once accused John Godfrey of witchcraft. His wife, Cicely, was born in Marlborough, England, and died in Haverhill, Massachusetts, 28 May 1673. He died 29 Jan. 1679. He left six children, with only one of whom we are concerned in the history of Oyster River Plantation.
Family of Ensign John Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire
Ensign John Davis (James1) was born about 1623 in Marlborough. He married, 10 Dec. 1646, Jane Peasley, daughter of the Rev. Joseph and Mary (Johnson) Peasley of Haverhill, where he owned land in 1642. In 1650 he was on a committee to lay out a boundary between Haverhill and Salisbury. About 1653 he removed to Oyster River, where he built his garrison house, near Davis Creek, on the north side of the river and near its mouth, on land bought of Valentine Hill, 14 Aug. 1654. He had numerous and large grants of land, was selectman seven times, constable, surveyor of lands, and held other offices. He is called ensign as early as 1662. He died between 1 April 1685 and 25 May 1686, the dates on which his will was made and approved. Children were as follows:
- Mary Davis born 6 Nov. 1647; married 19 July 1671, Josiah Heath of Haverhill.
- Sarah Davis born 7 March 1649; married bef. 1672 James Smith; killed by Indians, 1694.
- John Davis born 22 Aug. 1651; married (1) abt. 1672, Mary _______, who died 12 Jan. 1684, (2) Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Burnham. Called also ensign. He and wife and several children were killed in the massacre of 1694, and two daughters were carried as captives to Canada, where Mary Ann Davis remained and became a sister of Saint Benedict of the Ursuline Convent, Quebec, and died 2 March 1749. The other, Sarah Davis, returned and married Peter Mason.
- Hannah Davis born 24 Dec. 1653; married at Haverhill, 28 Sept. 1677, John Kezar, who was killed by Indians, with his son, George Kezar, 15 March 1697.
- Jane Davis born 29 Dec. 1655; died 23 Sept. 1656.
- 3. Moses Davis born 30 Dec. 1657; married at Haverhill, 16 Jan. 1681, Reuhamah Dow.
- 4. Joseph Davis born 26 Jan. 1660; married bef. 1693, Mary Stevens.
- 5. James Davis born 23 May 1662, married 1 Oct. 1688, Elizabeth Chesley.
- Jane Davis born 15 May 1664.
- Jemima Davis born about 1666.
- Judith Davis born about 1668; married 14 Dec. 1686, Capt. Samuel Emerson.
Family of Moses Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire
Moses Davis (John2, James1), born 30 Dec. 1657, married in Haverhill, Massachusetts, 16 Jan. 1681, Reuhamah Dow, daughter of Stephen Dow of Haverhill. He settled at Oyster River as early as 1693, and lived on the Mill Road, west of the present railroad. He was a private, under his brother, then Capt. James Davis, in a scout against the Indians in 1712. He and son, Moses, were slain by Indians near the Mast Road, 10 June 1724. The Rev. Hugh Adams says “Two more men of our Parish were killed by Indians, namely Moses Davis, Sr., one of the most wise and godly of the Brethren in our church, and his son, Moses Davis, Jr., being a married man and father of several children.” [Ms. in Massachusetts Hist. Society's Library.]
- 6. John Davis born in Haverhill 4 Jan. 1682; married Abigail Meader.
- 6a. Moses Davis born in Haverhill 2 Nov. 1686.
- 7. James Davis born abt. 1687; married Mary Stevenson, (2) Elizabeth Dunn.
- 8. Solomon Davis born abt. 1695; married Elizabeth Davis.
- Jabez Davis born abt. 1701; married Abigail Willey, 27 Sept. 1750 (?).
- 9. Ebenezer Davis born 10 June 1702; married Susanna _______.
- Abigail Davis baptized with Ebenezer 26 Nov. 1727.
- Love Davis died 29 Jan. 1805, aged 82. Unmarried.
- Aaron Davis d. unmarried bef. 15 Aug. 1772.
Family of Joseph Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire
Joseph Davis (John2, James1), born 26 Jan. 1660, married before 1693 Mary Stevens. He was a sergeant before 1694, when he assisted his brother, James, in the defense of his house; is called lieutenant in 1712 and was constable in 1714. He died prior to 1748. Joseph Davis, Sr., and wife, Mary, were admitted to church 28 Sept. 1718. She was baptized 10 Feb. 1716/7. He was living in 1733 and then had a share in the division of common lands. May 18, 1760, Joseph and Jemima Small deeded to Jeremiah Burnham “our right in the estate of our father Joseph Davis.” Other deeds determine the first four of the following as children. He lived on the road to Newmarket, near Denbow's Brook.
- Jane Davis baptized 10 Aug. 1718; married John Barber, 19 Jan. 1726/7.
- Jemima Davis married Joseph Small, 27 Nov. 1718.
- Judith Davis married John Tasker, 3 Apr. 1718.
- Mary Davis born Joseph Basford of Chester, New Hampshire.
- Benjamin Davis married Miriam Roberts, 5 Jan. 1726/7.
Family of Col. James Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire
Col. James Davis (John1, James2), born 23 May 1662, married, 1 Oct. 1688, Elizabeth Chesley, daughter of Capt. Thomas and Elizabeth (Thomas) Chesley. He died at the garrison where he was born, 8 Sept. 1749. [See page 292 of Vol. I] His wife was born in 1669 and died before 1748. Both were members of the church at Oyster River, from which they withdrew in 1723, to join the church in Dover.
- 10. James Davis born 10 July 1689; married Ruth Ayer, (2) Elizabeth Payne.
- Thomas Davis born 20 Oct. 1690; died 1778.
- 11. Samuel Davis born 26 Sept. 1692, married Martha Chesley.
- 12. Daniel Davis born 29 Jan. 1695; married Elizabeth _______.
- Sarah Davis born 3 March 1697; married Capt. Joseph Hicks; died 1788.
- Hannah Davis born 28 March 1699; married 23 March 1726/7, Clement Deering; died 1775.
- Elizabeth Davis born 13 July 1701; married John Hicks; died 1780.
- 13. Ephraim Davis born 30 April 1704; married Ruth _______.
- Phebe Davis born 19 April 1706; married 1725, Abraham Matthews.
- Eleazer Davis born 5 Oct. 1709; d. bef. 1748.
Family of John Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire
John Davis (Moses3, John2, James1), born in Haverhill, Massachusetts, 4 Jan. 1682, married Abigail Meader, daughter of John and Sarah (Follett) Meader. He died before 1749. She was baptized by Rev. Hugh Adams 15 Nov. 1719, and the following children were all baptized 28 Jan. 1720/1:
- John Davis married Judith _______; d. in Lee about 1797 (?).
- 14. Nathaniel Davis born 15 Jan. 1716; married Hannah Davis.
- Joseph Davis aged 56, by deposition made 3 Feb. 1753.
- Hannah Davis.
- Elizabeth Davis married probably Solomon Davis.
- Abigail Davis.
- Judith Davis.
Family of Moses Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire
Moses Davis (Moses3, John2, James1) was born in Haverhill, Massachusetts, 2 Nov. 1686 and was killed by Indians 10 June 1724. The Rev. Hugh Adams writes that he was married and left several children. Deliverance Davis was baptized 21 May 1721. Immediately following this record, and on the same day, is recorded the baptism of George and Elizabeth Chesley and Sarah, Rebecca and Moses Davis. It is highly probable that Deliverance, widow of George Chesley, who was killed by Indians in 1710, married (2) Moses Davis, and so her children by both marriages were baptized with her the same day. The estate of Deliverance Davis of Durham was administered by Moses Davis in 1765.
- Sarah Davis married Paul Chesley.
- Rebecca Davis.
- Moses Davis married Elizabeth Davis, daughter of Samuel and Martha (Chesley) Davis, born 1728. He lived in Lee, and his widow married Major John Demeritt. The children of Moses Davis were:
- Aaron Davis, who married 7 Nov. 1776, Susanna Otis.
- Elisha Davis who settled in New Durham.
- Elizabeth Davis who married Paul Demeritt.
- Lois Davis.
- Martha Davis who married Jonathan Woodman.
Family of James Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire
James Davis (Moses3, John2, James1), born about 1687, married, (1) 19 May 1719, Mary Stevenson, daughter of Bartholomew and Mary (Clark) Stevenson, who was born 21 Sept. 1681. James Davis, widower, was baptized 27 Jan. 1722/3. James Davis, widower, aged 41, married, 4 Oct. 1728, Elizabeth Dunn, maiden, aged 39, as the Rev. Hugh Adams records. [See Dunn.] Two children recorded, one by each marriage:
- Mary Davis baptized 12 June 1726.
- Samuel Davis baptized 29 June 1729.
Family of Solomon Davis of Oyster River and Durham New Hampshire
Solomon Davis (Moses3, John2, James1), born about 1695, was baptized 26 April 1722, then aged 26. He made a deposition 23 Jan. 1759, aged about 59. He married, 4 Feb. 1724/5, Elizabeth Davis, probably daughter of John and Abigail (Meader) Davis. Solomon Davis of Lee and wife, Hannah, in 1766, sold to son, Robert Davis, land in Nottingham. One son baptized in Durham.
- 15. Jonathan Davis baptized 1 May 1726; married Joanna Wormwood, (2) Hannah Stevenson.
- Robert Davis married Alice Wormwood, 15 Jan. 1756.
Family of Ebenezer Davis of Oyster River and Durham New Hampshire
Ebenezer Davis (Moses3, John2, James1), born 10 June 1702, gave deed to Jeremiah Davis of Portsmouth in 1732. Susanna Davis was appointed administratrix of the estate of Ebenezer Davis of Durham, 7 May 1755.
- Solomon Davis baptized 10 Aug. 1755; married Temperance Colbath, 20 March 1786 (?).
- Timothy Davis baptized 10 Aug. 1755.
Family of James Davis of Oyster River and Madbury New Hampshire
James Davis (James3, John2, James1), born 10 July 1689, married (1) 5 Nov. 1728, Ruth Ayer, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Johnson) Ayer of Hampton, who was born 21 March 1699 and died 28 April 1730. He married (2) 14 April 1743, Elizabeth Payne of York, Maine. He lived in Madbury on land granted to his grandfather, John Davis. Children all baptized by the Rev. Jonathan Cushing in Dover. He died in his 93d year.
- Ruth Davis born 5 Nov. 1729.
- James Davis born 14 Feb. 1744.
- Mary Davis born 28 March 1746.
- Daniel Davis b, 7 June 1748; died 27 May 1749.
- Thomas Davis born 7 Sept. I750;married Joanna Keating; settled in Farmington.
- John Davis b. 6 July 1754.
Family of James Davis of Oyster River and Madbury New Hampshire
Samuel Davis (James3, John2, James1), born 26 Sept. 1692, married, before 1719, Martha Chesley, daughter of Thomas and Ann Chesley. He lived in Madbury on land inherited from his father and died there in 1789. His wife died in 1791. His will, 26 July 1774-27 March 1789.
- 16. Samuel Davis born 1720; married Abigail .
- Eleazer Davis born 1722; estate administrated. by Samuel Davis in 1745.
- James Davis born 1724; d. in 1752. Unmarried.
- Hannah Davis born 1726; married Nathaniel Davis, son of John Davis.
- Elizabeth Davis born 1728; married (1) Moses Davis, (2) Major John Demeritt. She died 23 Oct. 1827.
- 17. Thomas Davis born 10 June 1732; married (1) Elizabeth Roberts, (2) Abigail Jones.
Family of Daniel Davis of Oyster River and Durham New Hampshire
Daniel Davis (James3, John2, James1), born 29 Jan. 1695, married Elizabeth _______. He lived near the first meeting house, on south side of Oyster River. He died in Jan. 1759. His estate was divided 25 Sept. 1764 among Widow Elizabeth and the following children:
- Obadiah Davis oldest son in 1764; married Deborah Lord. Children:
- Frank Davis.
- Sarah Davis.
- Obadiah Davis, who married Sarah Neal. This family lived in Lee.
- 18. Thomas Davis born 1748; married 15 July 1776, Sally, daughter of Joseph Drew. Removed to Newfield, Maine.
- Francis Davis baptized 14 Sept. 1752. He was a blacksmith; of North Yarmouth, Maine, in 1777.
- Elizabeth Davis oldest daughter in 1764; married (1) 24 Jan. 1758, Ebenezer Crommett, (2) 1768, Joseph Drew of Durham.
- Sarah Davis.
- Phebe Davis.
- Zerviah Davis, baptized 14 Sept. 1752, and married Starbird Turner, who was of North Yarmouth in 1777.
Family of James Davis of Oyster River and Durham New Hampshire
Ephraim Davis (James3, John2, James1), born 30 April 1704, married, 7 Dec. 1731, Ruth _______. He received the homestead from his father. Was selectman in Durham, 1743, and died in April 1791.
- James Davis born 27 March 1734; married 1 Feb. 1753, Elizabeth Durgin (?).
- Ruth Davis born 5 March 1737.
- Ephraim Davis born 2 Aug. 1739: married 1764 Lois Drew, daughter of Francis and Sarah (Hicks) Drew, who died in Madbury 29 Jan. 1833. Had at least a daughter::
- Elizabeth Davis, who married 5 June 1800, Francis Wentworth.
- “Josiah” Davis born 7 March 1743.
- Hannah Davis born 18 July 1745; married Andrew Drew.
Family of James Davis of Madbury New Hampshire
Nathaniel Davis (John4, Moses3, John2, James1), born 15 Jan. 1716, was baptized by the Rev. Hugh Adams 28 Jan. 1721. He married Hannah Davis, daughter of Samuel and Martha (Chesley) Davis and lived in Madbury. Both owned the covenant at Dover 30 Dec. 1741.
- Anna Davis born 12 Oct., baptized 30 Dec. 1741; married Moses Davis, son of Jeremiah Davis.
- John Davis baptized 22 May 1746.
- 19. Eleazer Davis born 23 Jan. 1742; baptized 22 May 1746.
- Elijah Davis baptized 29 Jan. 1750.
- Solomon Davis.
- George Davis.
- Lemuel Davis.
Family of Jonathan Davis of Durham New Hampshire
Jonathan Davis (Solomon4, Moses3, John2, James1), born in 1726, married, (1) 19 July 1753, Joanna Wormwood, (2) 14 April 1757, Hannah Stevenson, daughter of Joseph Stevenson of Durham. Children all born in Durham:
- Abner Davis born 4 Feb. 1754; married Esther Young; settled in Nottingham, where he died 25 Dec. 1841.
- Jonathan Davis baptized 3 Sept. 1758; married 7 Dec. 1779, Sarah Brown and lived in Nottingham.
- Jacob Davis baptized 3 Sept. 1758; married Deborah Tuttle, and lived in Nottingham. Had son, perhaps others:
- Nathan Davis, who settled at Center Harbor.
Family of Samuel Davis of Madbury New Hampshire
Samuel Davis (Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born 1720 in Madbury, lived on the homestead and died there 13 Feb. 1771. His wife, Abigail, was born in 1722 and died 24 Oct. 1794. His will, 11 Jan. 1771, names wife, Abigail, brother-in-law, Nathaniel Davis, and father, Samuel.
- Moses Davis married Elizabeth; d. abt. 1769. Children:
- Martha Davis, baptized 21 Dec. 1754.
- Winthrop Davis baptized 23 Dec. 1754, who married Nov. 1785 Sarah Evans of Madbury.
- George Davis perhaps.
- Eleazer Davis baptized in Dover 25 Aug. 1743; living in 1771; married Keziah Langley, 1778 (?)
- Elizabeth Davis born 2 March 1753; married 28 April 1772, Elihu Hayes, born in Barrington 29 Aug. 1751.
Family of Thomas Davis of Madbury and Barrington New Hampshire
Thomas Davis (Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born 10 June 1732, married (1) about 1760, Elizabeth Roberts of New Durham, (2) before 1793 Abigail _______, widow of Benjamin Jones of Barrington. He removed from Madbury to Barrington before 1790, where he died in 1803. He took part in the battle of Bunker Hill. Estate divided 19 Nov. 1805. Children by first marriage :
- Jonathan Davis born 1761; married Hannah Gerrish; settled in Canterbury.
- Stephen Davis born 14 Feb. 1762; married Mary Boynton; settled in Canterbury.
- 20. Samuel Davis born 2 May 1763; married Judith Tuttle.
- Anne Davis born Oct. 1765; died 21 April 1852.
- Mary Davis born 1767; married 1 Oct. 1789, Wm. Nute.
- Ruth Davis born 1769; married James Hutchins of Wakefield.
- Miles Davis born 1771; lived in Wakefield.
- 21. Moses Davis born 10 Oct. 1773; married Nancy Allen.
- Betty Davis born 1775; married _______ Peverly of Loudon.
- Susannah Davis born 1777; married Paul Gate. Removed to Maine.
- Martha Davis born 1779; d. 7 July 1849. Unmarried.
One child by second marriage:
- Sarah Davis born 19 April 1793; married John Caverno of Strafford, who was born 9 Feb. 1791 and d. 6 April 1866. She died 6 April 1890.
Family of Thomas Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire and Newfield Maine
Thomas Davis (Daniel4, James3, John2, James1), born in 1748, married, 15 July 1776, Sally Drew, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Adams) Drew, who was born in Durham 23 Nov. 1757. He served eight months in the Revolutionary Army. About 1780 he removed to Washington Plantation, now Newfield, Maine, where he died 3 Feb. 1832. His wife died 13 Oct. 185 1. Children born in Newfield:
- John Marsters Davis born 1784; died 16 Oct. 1868.
- Susan Davis born April 1785; married 13 Sept. 1813, John Mitchell of Kennebunkport, Maine; died 4 Aug. 1869.
- Bradstreet Davis born 10 Jan. 1786; died 6 June 1853.
- Sally Davis born abt. 1788; married Samuel Hale of Shapleigh, Maine.
- Samuel Davis born abt. 1790.
Family of Eleazer Davis of Madbury and Alton New Hampshire
Eleazer Davis (Nathaniel5, John4, Moses3, John2, James1), born in Madbury 23 Jan. 1742, married, 11 April 1771, Sarah Cook, daughter of Hezekiah Cook, and lived in Madbury and Alton. Lived on Governor's Island, in Lake Winnipesaukee.
- Mercy Davis married Ephraim Chamberlain.
- Hannah Davis married Joseph Chamberlain.
- Hezekiah Davis married _______ Nutter.
- 21a. Nathaniel Davis born 22 Sept. 1777; married (1) Mary Stevens, 16 Dec. 1800, (2) Clarissa Gordon of Meredith. He died in Gilford 18 April 1857. 12 children.
- Sarah Davis married John Barker.
- Eleazer Davis married Polly Sanborn. Had son:
- Eleazer Davis, who married 12 April 1846, Ann P. Waldron of Dover.
- Benaiah Davis married Gilman.
- John Davis married Mercy McDuffee.
- Charlotte Davis born 21 Dec. 1790; married 4 Jan. 1810, John Drew of Alton, born 27 April 1786.
Family of Samuel Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire
Samuel Davis (Thomas5, Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born in Madbury 2 May 1763, married about 1790 Judith Tuttle, daughter of James and Mary (Allen) Tuttle of Dover, who was born 24 Feb. 1768 and died 4 Feb. 1832. Children born in Madbury:
- 22. James Davis born 24 Feb. 1793; married Lydia Palmer.
- Leavitt Davis, born 1795; died 1821.
- Stephen Davis born 29 Dec. 1796; married 21 March 1824, Nancy H, Watson, daughter of Samuel and Priscilla (Hodgdon) Watson, who was born 1 Feb. 1804 and died 24 Jan. 1842. He died 11 Jan. 1827.
- Simon Davis born 1798; married Elizabeth _______, widow of Major Dame of Newington.
- 23. Samuel Davis born 11 Aug. 1799; married Mary Twombly.
- Thomas Davis born 1802; died 1824.
- Mary Davis b. 1807; died 1828.
Family of Moses Davis of Madbury and Barrington New Hampshire
Moses Davis (Thomas5, Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born in Madbury 10 Oct. 1773, removed with his father to Barrington, where he resided the greater part of his life. He married, in 1793, Nancy Allen, who was born in Greenland in 1773. She died in Barrington 10 July 1854, after which he made his home with his daughter, Martha Woodman, at Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he died 16 Jan. 1860. Children all born in Barrington, except the old estate
- 24. Calvin Davis born in Canterbury 26 Oct. 1794; married Sarah Lucy.
- Asa Davis born 19 Oct. 1796; married Mercy Cate and rem. to Skowhegan, Maine; died 1886.
- Martha Davis born 9 April 1799; married 25 Sept. 1822 Jonathan Woodman of Lee and removed to Lawrence, Massachusetts, where she died 14 July 1890.
- Charles Augustus Davis born 1804; went to sea in 1827 and was never heard from.
- Lucy Ann Davis born 9 Feb. 1809; married 29 Oct. 1833, James Burleigh, son of James and Sarah (Bennett) Burleigh of Newmarket, where she died 16 March 1899. Her son, Elbridge Tyler Burleigh, was a prominent lawyer of Lawrence, Massachusetts.
- Joel Haley Davis born 12 Oct. 1812; married 14 Nov. 1839, Lydia (Jones) Huntington. He was a member of the Friends Society at Amesbury, Massachusetts, where he died 4 Feb. 1899.
- Susan Davis born 1800; married Calvin Newcomb.
Family of Nathaniel Davis of Madbury and Gilford New Hampshire
Nathaniel Davis (Eleazer6, Nathaniel5, John4, Moses3, John2, James1) was born in Madbury 22 Sept. 1777. He removed with his father to Lake Winnipesaukee, where he lived on Davis Island, which since 1812 has been a part of the town of Gilford. Here he died 18 April 1857. He represented Gilford in the legislature in 1830. He married (1) 16 Dec. 1800, Mary Stevens, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Fogg) Stevens of Deerfield, who was born 27 Oct. 1782 and died 5 June 1815, (2) Clarissa Gordon of Meredith, who was born 26 July 1788 and died 16 Oct. 1868. Children, all born on Davis' Island, were, by first marriage :
- Stevens Davis born 21 Sept. 1801; married 23 Aug. 1827, Statira Crowell, born at Palermo, Maine, 7 March 1809. Removed from Maine to Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, where he died 22 Oct. 1869. His wife died 24 April 1866. Children:
- Bolivar B. Davis born at Bangor, Maine, 24 Oct. 1829, married 6 Sept. 1850, Eloisa Finch, who was born 18 Sept. 1824 and died at Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, 13 Sept. 1856.
- George S. Davis born 11 March 1832, married (1) 18 Dec. 1857, Teresa Nash of Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, who was born 1 Oct, 1840 and died 15 Sept. 1858, (2) 18 Sept. 1862, at Gold Hill, Nevada, Elvira Evelin Proctor, who was born 13 March 1844, and he died 13 Jan. 1891, having had five children.
- John Henry Davis born at Dexter, Maine, 4 Dec. 1834, married (1) 7 Nov. 1860, Marietta Rankin of Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, who died 20 Nov. 1865, (2) 10 Sept. 1867, at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, Esther Hopkins, five children.
- Laura Stevens Davis born 20 April 1838, married 5 Dec. 1858, Thomas T. Proctor of Windham;
- Frank K. Davis born 1 May 1840, d. 31 Oct. 1846.
- Abigail Frances Davis born 22 Sept. 1842, married 4 Dec. 1862, John Adams Head, son of John and Anna (Brown) Head, who was born at Hooksett, New Hampshire 9 July 1830 and died 2 March 1909.
- Charles Nathaniel Davis born 15 March 1845, married 24 Feb. 1867, Margaret M. Lee of Broadhead, Wisconsin, who d. in 1909, and he died 12 Jan. 1897 at Cripple Creek, Wisconsin.
- James Franklin Davis born at Bangor, Maine, 9 Feb. 1848, died 28 March 1850.
- William Pitt Davis b. at Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, 9 March 1851, married 22 Sept. 1861, at Paulina, Iowa, Frances C. Smith, daughter of Levi J. and Charlotte (Royes) Smith, who was born 23 Aug. 1862, six children.
- Sarah F. Davis born 3 March 1803; married 15 June 1825, George McDuffee. d. 5 July 1870.
- Franklin Davis born 7 Dec. 1804; married 18 April 1827, Emily Gilmore, daughter of Jeremiah and Caroline Gilmore; died 8 April 1868.
- Seth F. Davis born 27 Aug. 1806; married Charlotte Heal of Orono, Maine, died 9 March 1865. Children:
- James H. Davis, born 23 Aug. 1843, died Feb. 1865.
- Anna F. Davis born 16 Jan. 1846, married _______ White.
- Charlotte M. Davis born 15 Jan. 1849, died 8 March 1849.
- Frank N. Davis born 28 June 1852, died Sept. 1877.
- Charlotte C. Davis born 23 Jan. 1856, married George H. Woodbury.
- John Davis born 10 Nov. 1808; married (1) 12 Nov. 1835, Rhoda Morrill, who was born 29 Jan. 1810 and died 11 April 1843, (2) 5 Dec. 1843, Rhoda F. Maxfield, who was born 23 May 1820 and died 9. Jan. 1901. He died 10 Sept. 1876. Children:
- Sarah M. Davis born 21 Nov. 1836.
- Rhoda M. Davis born 7 April 1843, died 29 May 1859.
- Nathaniel B. Davis born 20 July 1845, died 6 April 1846.
- Nathaniel F. Davis born 11 June 1847, married 23 Dec. 1878, Lydia M. Bellows, who was born 18 May 1849 and had children.
- Harvey M. Davis.
- Grace L. Davis.
- Janey Davis born 19 April 1854, died 13 Sept. 1854.
- Olin Sylvester Davis born 19 July 1862, married (1) 2 July 1890, Ada C. Rogers, who was born 15 April 1871 and died 13 Oct. 1890, (2) 19 July 1905, Bessie Blanche Scribner, daughter of Rev. John W. and Mary Scribner of Hartwell, Indiana.
- Adelia Abigail Davis born 10 March 1865, died 28 Nov. 1865.
- Eleazer Davis born 5 Oct. 1810; died 12 April 1886.
- George Davis born 19 July 1812; died 6 March 1813.
Children by second marriage,
- Mary Stevens Davis born 29 Oct. 1816; died 6 April 1843.
- George Davis born 15 Aug. 1817; died 4 Sept. 1817.
- Hannah L. Davis born 24 Nov. 1818; married Jan. 1839, Jeremiah B. Thing of Gilford; died 5 Sept. 1858.
- Rhoda Osgood Davis born 27 April 1820; died Aug. 1822.
- Rhoda Osgood Davis born 26 March 1823; married 21 Sept. 1842, William B. Weeks; died 22 Dec. 1908.
- Charles G. Davis born 8 Jan. 1825; married Esther Sargent of Bristol; died 8 Jan. 1890.
Family of James Davis of Madbury New Hampshire
James Davis (Samuel6, Thomas5, Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born in Madbury 24 Feb. 1793, died on the old Davis homestead in that town 25 Aug. 1850. He was called captain. He married, 23 July 1822, Lydia Palmer, who was born 21 Feb. 1799 and died 18 Oct. 1897. Children born in Madbury:
- Mary Davis born 3 April 1824; died 24 April 1824.
- Caroline Davis born 8 Aug. 1825; died 17 June 1884. Unmarried.
- James H. Davis born 25 Jan. 1828; married 16 May 1850, Margaret Bickford; died 17 Nov. 1899.
- Frank Davis born Dec. 1830; married (1) Mary Frances Tuttle, daughter of Samuel and Alice (Hart) Tuttle of Dover, (2) Henrietta White of Sandwich; died 28 July 1864.
- Ellen Davis born 9 Feb. 1832; married Adolphus Jenkins of Portland, Oregon.
- Louisa Davis born 21 July 1834; married Charles A. C. Thompson of Durham; died 31 May 1901.
- Nathaniel H. Davis born 18 Jan. 1837; died 20 Jan. 1838.
- John W. Davis born Oct. 1838; died Dec. 1838.
- William Davis born 13 April 1840; died 13 Dec. 1862.
Family of Samuel Davis of Madbury New Hampshire
Samuel Davis (Samuel6, Thomas5, Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born in Madbury 11 Aug. 1799, died 11 Jan. 1853. He married, 1 Jan. 1837, Mary Caverno Twombly, daughter of Hurd and Sarah (Caverno) Twombly who was born in Madbury 9 Feb. 1815. Children born in Madbury:
- Mary E. Davis born 1 April 1838; died 6 June 1842.
- Samuel Caverno Davis born 15 March 1842; married 30 Sept. 1868, Frances Tuttle, daughter of Thomas and Hope (Twombly) Tuttle, who died at Chelsea, Massachusetts, 20 Nov. 1887. Children: the first two born in Madbury, the third in Chelsea;
- Gertrude M. Davis born 20 May 1871, married 29 June 1898, Frank S. Crandon of Chelsea.
- Edith L. Davis born 23 May 1878, d. 9 Jan. 1888.
- Samuel F. Davis born 6 July 188 1, married 14 Aug. 1906, Lucie Jackson Childs.
- Judith Davis born 15 March 1842; married 16 June 1862. Charles D. Bickford; died 18 Nov. 1906.
- Marianna Davis born 28 April 1847; married 16 Sept. 1864, Charles R. Cocking, who d. in Madbury 11 March 1902.
- James J. Davis born 4 Jan. 1851; died 20 March 1851.
- William Leavitt Davis born 24 Sept. 1852; married 25 Dec. 1878, Alice H. Wilkinson, daughter of John H. and Hannah Wilkinson of Chelsea, Massachusetts, where he became very successful in real estate business. Children: born in Chelsea,
- Marian L. Davis born 6 Dec. 1879.
- William R. Davis born 22 Dec. 1881, married 6 Sept. 1905, Ethel F. Binney.
- Nathalie Davis born 2 Nov. 1883, married 7 March 1910, Dr. Edgar Fremont Haines, of the United States Army in the Philippine service.
Family of Calvin Davis of Canterbury and Barrington New Hampshire
Calvin Davis (Moses6, Thomas5, Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born in Canterbury, 26 Oct. 1794, married, 4 July 1827, Sarah Lucy, daughter of Benjamin and Lydia (Tuttle) Lucy of Nottingham, where she was born 5 Sept. 1794. She was a granddaughter of Col. Alexander Lucy, who was a lieutenant in the Revolutionary War. Calvin Davis was for many years engaged in the transportation of supplies between the Pascataqua Bridge at Durham and points inland as far north as Concord. He made his home in Barrington, where he died, 16 June 1846, His wife died at the home of her son, William Henry Davis, at Newmarket, 2 Sept. 1874. Children born in Barrington:
- 25. William Henry Davis born 23 April 1828; died 11 Aug. 1910.
- 26. Charles Franklin Davis born 21 Dec. 1831.
- Calvin Newcomb Davis born 6 May 1838; died 11 Oct. 1859 at Newmarket. Unmarried.
Family of William Henry Davis of Barrington and Newmarket New Hampshire
William Henry Davis (Calvin7, Moses6, Thomas5, Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born in Barrington 23 April 1828, lived in Newmarket and was distributing agent of stoves and tinware. He married (1) 17 Oct. 1853, Lavinia Chapman, daughter of Smith and Deborah (Meserve) Chapman, who was born 31 Jan. 1835 and died 26 Oct. 1869, (2) 19 Oct. 1870, Susan Richardson, who was born in Sackville, New Brunswick, 7 Aug. 1842 and died 16 April 1885. He died at Newmarket 11 Aug. 1910. Children by first marriage, all born in Newmarket:
- James William Gilmore Davis born 14 July 1854; married 14 April 1877, Minerva Ann (Stackpole) Abbott, daughter of Ichabod and Maria (Jenks) Stackpole. She was born 26 April 1851 in Kennebunk, Maine. He was accidentally killed in Newmarket 11 Oct. 1892. Two children,
- Harry A. Davis born 9 Dec. 1879, married 14 June 1905, Lillian Harding.
- Charles J. Davis born 7 July 1882.
- Albert Henry Davis born 21 Feb. 1856; died 13 March 1856.
- Edward Calvin Davis born 9 July 1858; married 3 Nov. 1883, Catherine Cloak of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. He died at Newmarket 5 March 1902.
- Henry Newcomb Davis born 11 Feb. 1862; died 15 Dec. 1882.
- Joanna Augusta Davis born 29 June 1869; died 9 Sept. 1870.
Family of Charles Franklin Davis of Barrington, Newmarket, and North Epping New Hampshire
Charles Franklin Davis (Calvin7, Moses6, Thomas5, Samuel4, James3, John2, James1), born in Barrington 21 Dec. 1831, went to Newmarket in 1849 and engaged in the tin and hard-ware business; was later of the firm of Treadwell and Davis. In 1878 he removed to North Epping, where he died 24 July 1878. He was a member of the school board in Newmarket and represented that town in the legislature two terms. He was a member of the Masonic order, of the Odd Fellows and of the Knights of Pythias. He was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He married, at Newmarket, 22 Jan. 1854, Sarah Abigail Drew, daughter of Lemuel and Lydia Hayes (Twombly) Drew, who was born in Durham 4 Dec. 1834. After his decease his family removed to Dover, where his widow married, 28 Feb. 1891, Joseph Woodbury Cate, who died at Dover, 19 Dec. 1905. Children all born in Newmarket:
- Isabel Davis born 5 Oct. 1854; died 10 March 1857.
- Charles Franklin Davis born 3 May 1857: married at North Epping, 7 Sept. 1878, Jennie D. Furber, daughter of Samuel Furber of Newmarket. She was born 22 Feb. 1859 and died at Lynn, Massachusetts, 18 March 1900.
- Herbert Gardiner Davis born 18 May 1859; married at Dover, 24 March 1894, Harriet Estelle Cate, daughter of Joseph Woodbury and Harriet (Kimball) Cate.
- Son born Sept. 1860; d. 4 Nov. 1860. This son, unnamed, was brother of Isabel, Charles F. and Herbert G.
- Nestor Wilbur Davis born 15 Feb. 1869; went to Boston in 1890, where he became private and corporation secretary. He married at Hyde Park, Massachusetts, 12 Feb. 1903, Alice Louise Chamberlain, daughter of Thomas, and Helen (Hovey) Chamberlain of Hyde Park. Resided Winchester, Massachusetts.