Durham Village New Hampshire

Genealogy of Ensign John Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire

Ensign John Davis of Oyster River New Hampshire was born about 1623 in Marlborough. He married, 10 Dec. 1646, Jane, daughter of the Rev. Joseph and Mary (Johnson) Peasley of Haverhill, where he owned land in 1642. In 1650 he was on a committee to lay out a boundary between Haverhill and Salisbury. About 1653 he removed to Oyster River, where he built his garrison house, near Davis Creek, on the north side of the river and near its mouth, on land bought of Valentine Hill, 14 Aug. 1654. He had numerous and large grants of land, was selectman seven times, constable, surveyor of lands, and held other offices. He is called ensign as early as 1662. He died between 1 April 1685 and 25 May 1686, the dates on which his will was made and approved.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top