A genealogy of the Henry Bickford family of Portsmouth New Hampshire as extracted from the History of Durham New Hampshire and other sources.
Family of Henry Bickford of Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Henry Bickford of Portsmouth, perhaps son of Thomas of Scarborough, where Henry had a grant of land in 1720, bought a house lot in Portsmouth in 1704. He is called weaver and mariner. He had wife, Sarah, probably the one admitted to the North Church, 9 Aug. 1708. He deeded to Titus Salter, mariner, 12 April 1760, “all my dwelling house, with all the land belonging.” It may here be said that Nathan Bickford had land at Blue Point, Scarborough, about 1680. Nothing more is known of him. Henry Bickford had children:
- 2. Thomas Bickford bapt. 26 Sept. 1708; m. Elizabeth Furber.
- Sarah Bickford bapt. 26 Sept. 1708.
- Rachel Bickford bapt. 16 Aug. 171 1.
- Hannah Bickford bapt. 1 Nov. 1713; m. Arthur Waterhouse, 15 Jan. 1737/8 (?)
- Aaron Bickford bapt. 26 Oct. 1718; Mary, wife of Aaron Bickford, d. 3 Oct. 1752, in her 26th year, as says an inscription at Portsmouth. Aaron was in military service, 14 July 1748.
- Abigail Bickford bapt. 2 Oct. 1720.
- Eliza Bickford bapt. 6 May 1722; m. William Hopkins, 24 Oct., 1755 (?)
Family of Thomas Bickford of Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Thomas Bickford (Henry) married, 4 Oct. 1727, Elizabeth, daughter of Jethro Furber, granddaughter of William Furber of Newington. He is called schoolmaster. The inscription on his tombstone says that he died in Portsmouth, 18 Dec. 1772, aged 68. Children baptized at the North Church.
- William Bickford bapt. 17 Oct. 1731; not named in his father’s will.
- Thomas Bickford bapt. 3 March 1733/4; d. young.
- Elizabeth Bickford bapt. 7 March 1735/6; m. Benjamin Mackay.
- Hannah Bickford bapt. 18 Feb. 1738/9; m. Samuel Waterhouse, 16 Oct. 1760.
- Thomas Bickford bapt. 29 July 1739; schoolmaster in 1798.
- Leah Bickford bapt. 6 Feb. 1742/3; m. Joseph Moulton.
- Henry Bickford, named in his father’s will, 9 Sept. 1768; m. Elizabeth Gerrish, 30 April 1774; d. in Portsmouth, 6 Jan. 1798, aged 47.
- Dorothy Bickford, named in will; m. John Salter.