A genealogy of the Thomas Bickford family of Durham New Hampshire as extracted from the History of Durham New Hampshire and other sources.
Family of Thomas Bickford of Dover, New Hampshire
Thomas Bickford, born 1640, deposed in 1676, aged 36. He married Joanna, daughter of John Libby of Scarborough, Me., where Thomas Bickford had a grant of land before 1681 and signed a petition in 1680. The Indian wars probably drove his family to Dover, and this suggests a relationship between him and John Bickford of Oyster River Point, and the names of their children strengthen the suggestion. Jan. 12, 1727, John Bickford of Dover and wife, Elizabeth, sold to Zebulon Trickey, Samuel Small, Jr., and Moses Hanscom “all that my six acres of land situate in the Township of Scarborough in the county of York which was the ancient possession of my father Thomas Bickford late of Scarborough aforesd deceased.” The same deed names also grandfather, John Libby, and mother, Joanna Libby. [See York Deeds, XII, 166.]
It is certain, then, that Thomas Bickford had son, John, of Dover, and similarity of family names suggests that he may also have had a son, Benjamin. Some have supposed that John Bickford of Oyster River, Thomas Bickford of Scarborough, and an unknown Bickford who married a daughter of Richard Cator of Bloody Point, Newington, were brothers. I am obliged to leave this undecided. Thomas had at least a son:
- 2. John Bickford m. Elizabeth Tibbetts, 1 Dec. 1692.
Family of John Bickford of Dover, New Hampshire
John Bickford (Thomas1) married, 1 Dec. 1692, Elizabeth daughter of Jeremy Tibbetts of Dover, and lived at Dover Neck. The following children are recorded in Dover and also named in his will, 25 May 1744-27 April 1757. The will names a wife, Martha, who may have been the daughter of Charles Allen of Greenland, who names a daughter, Martha Bickford, in his will.
- Martha Bickford b. 23 July 1692 [1693?]; m. Hanson.
- 3. Thomas Bickford b. 18 May 1694; m. Esther Adams.
- 4. John Bickford b. 10 March 1698; m. Judith Tibbetts.
- Henry Bickford b. 1 Jan. 1702/3; m. Elizabeth . Both bapt.. at Dover, 4 Apr. 1740. Cordwainer. Had deed of 20 acres from his father in 1738. A Henry Bickford m. Abigail Tibbetts of Towaw, 9 Jan. 1756. A Henry Bickford signed a petition from Lebanon, Me., in 1757.
- 5. Joseph Bickford b. 8 March 1705/6; m. Elizabeth .
Family of Thomas Bickford of Madbury, New Hampshire
Thomas Bickford (John2, Thomas1), born 18 May 1694, married, 10 March 1717, Esther, daughter of Charles and Temperance (Benmore) Adams. He was baptized at Oyster River, 11 Feb. 1721/2, and Esther was baptized 7 June 1719. He lived near Moharimet’s hill in Madbury. His wife united with the church in Dover, 20 June 1742. His will, 26 Jan. 1765-27 Feb. 1765, names wife, Joanna, and the following children, here named in order of the will :
- Thomas of Epsom, with wife Mary, 1754-66, and of Pittsfield, 1790.
- Charles. He and wife, Elizabeth, sold home in Madbury, 5 June 1766.
- John. He deeded farm in Epsom to son, John, in 1801. (?) The will of John Bickford of Barnstead, 11 March-io June 1807, names wife, Lydia, sons, John and Charles, grandson, Daniel, son of John, daughters, Dorcas Huckins, Lydia Haw^kins, Esther Durgin, Temperance Clarke, and Abigail Hodgdon.
- 6. Samuel m. Mercy .
- Temperance m. Young. She was bapt. at Oyster River 7 June 1719.
- Elizabeth m. 21 April 1749, Ebenezer Young in Newington.
- Rebecca bapt. 20 Sept. 1739; m. Cook.
- Sarah b. 12 Feb. 1736; m. abt. 1760, Samuel Blake of Epsom; d. 27 June 1804. 10 ch.
- Joseph bapt. 30 Dec. 1741; executor, had the homestead in Madbury. He m. Mary, dau. of Thomas and Joanna (Pinkham) Snell of North Lee.
Family of John Bickford of Dover, New Hampshire
John Bickford (John2, Thomas1), born 10 March 1698, married, about 1719, Judith Tibbetts, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth, born 3 Sept. 1702. She and probably son John were baptized at Oyster River 3 July 1720. The mother of Jonathan Bickford died in March 1782. The will of John Bickford, 10 Oct. 1757-29 Sept. 1762, names him then as of Dover with wife, Judith, and the following children:
- 7. Jonathan bapt. in Dover 12 Jan. 1752; m. Sarah Wilmot. Martha m. Tibbetts.
- Elizabeth bapt. 12 Jan. 1752. Abigail bapt. 12 Jan. 1752.
Family of Joseph Bickford of Dover, New Hampshire
Joseph Bickford (John2, Thomas1), born 8 March 1705/6, had wife, Elizabeth, who joined the church in Dover, 6 Aug. 1738. He had wife, Deborah, who joined the same church, 29 March 1743. He united with the church, 22 April 1753. A Joseph Bickford died of apoplexy in Dover, 11 Feb. 1776. His will, 2 Aug. 1762-13 March 1776, names sons, Joseph and Ephraim, and daughter, Sarah. Children baptized in Dover were:
- Sarah bapt. 24 June 1731.
- Mary bapt. 12 Sept. 1736.
- Sarah bapt. 7 May 1738.
- Joseph bapt. 22 May 1743.
- 8. Ephraim bapt. 13 May 1744; m. Sarah Bickford.
Family of Samuel Bickford of Epsom, New Hampshire
Samuel Bickford (Thomas3, John2, Thomas1), in 1765,. lived at Epsom Center, on the west corner of the New Orchard road, where he died in April or May 1773, leaving wife, Mercy, and at least seven children. Mercy died in 1824.
- Benjamin m. 13 Jan. 1779, Hannah Locke, dau. of Francis of Rye. He d. bef. Aug. 1790. Wife d. after 1803. Ch.:
- Samuel b. 13 May 1779, d. 8 May 1863.
- Benjamin b. 30 Nov. 1781.
- Thomas b. 26 Feb. 1785, d. 9 Sept. 1865.
- Samuel m. Abigail ; lived in Epsom. Ch.:
- Rebecca b. 29 Dec. 1789, m. John Yeaton,
- Mehitable b. 13 Aug. 1783.
- Abigail b. 14 Aug. 1787.
- Joseph b. 4 Jan. 1793.
- Margaret b. 11 Nov. 1785.
- Benjamin b. 11 Sept. 1789.
- Samuel b. 25 Oct. 1795.
- Mercy b. 7 March 1798.
- Mehitable (?) m. 11 Nov. 1779 Simeon Page at Deerfield. She d. 17 March 1846, aged 87.
- Thomas bapt. 15 April 1764; m. 23 Nov. 1786, Olive, dau. of John Haines; d. 1819. She d. 8 Oct. 1848, aged 83. Ch.:
- John b. Oct. 1790 m. Eliza Lane and d. 18 Jan. 1858.
- Samuel W. b. 1795 m. Lucy C. Learned and d. 29 Feb. 1858.
- Nathan b. 2 Dec. 1797 m. Elizabeth W. Dickey and d. 17 Jan. 1879.
- Mary bapt. 11 Aug. 1765; m. 3 April 1798 Jonathan Elkins, later of Gilmanton (?).
- John bapt. 29 May 1768.
- Joseph bapt. 14 July 1771.
Family of Jonathan Bickford of Dover and Wolfeboro New Hampshire
Jonathan Bickford (John3, John2, Thomas1), baptized in Dover 12 Jan. 1752, married, 26 May 1757, Sarah Wilmot of Somersworth. He is said to have been born 2 Jan. 1730 and to have died 11 May 1818. She was born 20 April 1739 and died 19 March 1823. He died in Wolfeboro.
- Rebecca b. 12 March 1758; m. 6 June 1802, Benjamin Young of Tuftonborough.
- John b. 12 May 1759; d. 27 July 1762.
- James b. March 1761; d. 5 Sept. 1762.
- Abigail b. 27 Feb. 1763; d. Oct. 1777.
- Elizabeth b. 20 June 1765; m. 18 March 1783, Nathaniel Hayes.
- Jonathan b. 18 June 1767; m. 19 Feb. 1799, Abigail, dau. of Aaron and Sarah (Tibbetts) Roberts.
- Thomas b. 23 Oct. 1769; d. Oct. 1777.
- Wilmot b. 24 Aug. 1771 ; m. 15 July 1798, Dorothy Willand of Dover. He lived in Wolfeboro.
- Nathaniel b. 8 Dec. 1773; m. 19 Feb. 1801, Mary Bean; d. in Tuftonborough 1 Dec. 1854.
- Sarah b. 8 May 1776; d. Oct. 1777.
- Judith b. 6 June 1779; m. 11 Aug. 1823, Thomas B. Wiggin of Wolfeboro.
- Gershom b. 29 Jan. 1781; m. (1) 7 April 1808, Elizabeth Bean, (2) 2 May 1853, Mary Jackson.
- Richard b. 24 Jan. 1784; m. (1) 10 March 1817, Ruth, dau. of Jacob and Ruth Haines, (2) 4 April 1848, Mrs. Polly E. Oilman of Tamworth.
Family of Ephraim Bickford of Dover, New Hampshire
Ephraim Bickford (Joseph3, John2, Thomas1) married, 22 March 1772, Sarah Bickford and died in Dover 31 May 1823, aged 80. Children recorded in Dover:
- Aaron b. 29 June 1773.
- Deborah b. 9 Dec. 1774.
- Joseph b. 14 Sept. 1776.
- Mary b. 11 March 1779.
- Hannah b. 14 Feb. 1781.
- Sarah b. 14 July 1783.
- Ephraim b. 8 Nov. 1785.
- Susanna b. 8 Sept. 1788.
- Thomas b. 8 Aug. 1791 ; m. 1816, Olive Ann Estes.